The first couple of photos were taken just before loading the model into the car to be taken to the painter. The model was finally all put together and ready for paint. The painter that I had chosen was one which did a lot of automotive restoration jobs. I dropped him an email about two weeks before i was expecting to finish the model with screenshots from my CAD files and he was able to give me a rough quote on how long it would take allowing me to work that into my schedule. I found Adam’s shop ” Hi Gloss Bodyworks” through the internet, browsing places that did custom paint jobs and his came up with some recommendations from a forum. Not new to student work Adam was really understanding about my time lines and enthusiastic about what I had planned for him to do.
Located out in Knoxfield, we arrived at his Body shop and took the model out and put it on a tray. Being a proper automotive body show he used two pack paint which is illegal to spray without a fully vented spray booth in Australia. Two Pack is better than Acrylic paint to use on models as you are able to get a thicker coat than acrylic and are able to layer the paint with ease. We went to the paint room and I was able to pick out a paint choice from his large collection of swatches that were all sorted by Automotive Manufacturer which was really helpful as the colour for the body that I wanted to match was a pearl white that I had recently seen on a Toyota 86. The window colour was an older Mitsubishi Gun Metal Grey which was easy to get from swatches too. After a couple of minutes choosing colours and comparing them to existing swatches that I had, I decided on a Pearl white( 1 of many shades) and he was ready to prime the model.
We then moved the model into the paint room, placing it on a barrel with a stand so that he could get primer onto the top and bottom of the model even though people wont see the bottom. Adam informed me that some of the really tight areas would be very hard to get into as when you apply primer you have to do it in a smooth slow fashion. This I assume meant you couldn’t stay in one are to fill it up as this would apply too much primer to one area leaving an uneven coat. He did what he could and it came out really well, this was the first time I could see the reflections of light on my model similar to the ones that I had in CAD.
After the first coat of primer was done I walked in to see the model. I was both shocked and surprised at how it came out. Surprised because finally i could see the models reflections and shocked because of all the part lines that stood out! This was really worrying as every little area that had been joined together with glue has a part line showing even though we sanded it down and filled it up with bog and spot putty. Luckily Adam was planning to apply more than 1 layer of primer and by the 3rd the part lines had been mostly covered up. Over the next day, Adam sanded back my the primer and rubbed down the model getting it looking as smooth as possible on the sides. He even added some auto bog on one of the part lines that he couldn’t smooth out and then sanded it back further.